We’re all aware of the famous words said by Maria Montessori after World War II, “Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war”
Switch on your TV or pick up a newspaper, you will hear and read about crime, murders, and shootings. The disturbing images of violence along are gut-wrenching, but there’s a message that screams out as well: our young ones are not able to find peace within, nor they have the capability of resolving conflicts.
The education system we are boasting is not addressing the needs of our children. We are rather concerned with higher grades and tests. We and our children are losing the sight that makes us human. On the contrary, we have to be more people that react on instinct and develop hatred. We have to find an education system that teaches peace, abilities to share, care, and find compromising skills.
Montessori education system follows the ideologies that address the needs of child and our society. The peace education in Montessori is rather built on numerous things. Milton Montessori education is devoted in the same path and here’s what makes us or any Montessori system worth appreciation:
Montessori Learning Environment
- Child Centered Environment – Montessori setting focuses highly on children’s learning and not on the teaching of a teacher. Children learn to work individually and in small or self-chosen groups. There are minimal or no whole group lessons.
- Responsive Environment – Home, school, or anywhere else, the environment should be designed for meeting the needs, abilities, and interests of the child. In Milton Montessori education system the teachers adapt with the community of children and rapidly modify the educational material as per the child’s interest. Thus being responsive to the needs of a child is emphasized.
- Individual Progress and Development is Focused – In a Montessori program, the child is allowed to progress at his/her own pace, moving in the next step in every area of learning is based on the child’s choice. While the child lives within a huge community of children, each child is considered as a universe of one.
- Spontaneous Activity – Children wiggle, explore, and touch things. A true Montessori environment encourages the child to move about freely, within reasonable limits and appropriate behavior. Mostly the kids choose the work that captures their attention and interest and even in such an atmosphere and spontaneous activities, they still master basic skills and learn.
- Hands on Learning – Montessori system does not teach children from workbooks or texts, rather they use direct and personal channels for learning. Real things and objects are used for their studies with concrete models that bring abstract concepts to life.
- Motivation to Learn – Kids at Montessori does not work for external rewards or grades, nor do they complete an assignment for the sake of teachers. They learn because they are interested in learning and are left independent to decide.
A strong myth surrounds the Montessori education system in various parts of the world. As per the myth, Montessori means no structure and is not appropriate for early childhood learning. The truth is Montessori students are being ranked as the top students of the world and are reaching excellent colleges. They are embodying every skill and ability that we could think for our youth to have and be. They are self motivated, confident and skilled individuals who know what to do and how to.
Montessori education systems brings up the youth that this society needs and Montessori education system is what prepares excellent individuals who can set things right and bring peace. They are actually students who make their parents proud, who can coexist with any age group or any preschooler and toddler and who are yet to be great leaders.